Chirp!:

    Saturday, April 07, 2007

    Anonymous

    Anonymity is derived from the Greek word ανωνυμία, meaning 'without a name' or 'name-less'. In colloquial use, the term typically refers to a person, and often means that the personal identity, or personally identifiable information of that person is not known.

    Blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject ... some function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of most blogs.

    ( definitions from
    Wikipedia )


    So therefore, a blog project that involves such a topic is damn hard.
    Should I be sharing my thoughts ? Isn't that a breach ?
    Should Cellobella have blogged her entry, and then told the world I was the next "Anonymous" person ?
    Is it possible to participate in such a project and remain anonymous ? And if so, what's the point of that ? Not much fun.






    So I decided to stop thinking, and start doing.

    I had what I thought was a *fabulous* idea where I would buy a crappy old spy novel from the Oppie, and take my trusty Stanley knife and cut a huge hole in the middle of the book and secrete the smaller book in there.
    I always wanted one of those 'fake' books when I was a teen, to hide my secrets, whatever they might have been at the time ...

    But I found I couldn't cut the book, no matter how shitty a read it might be.

    I thought i'd never think of anything !

    Arrogantly, i've made my entry the front cover. It now has a bit of an "Australian" feel about it .. which was initially unintentional ( I was thinking of a Superhero-styled mask, and ended up with Ned Kelly ). !

    I also included an anonymous quote, about secrecy, in a ancient language.
    Well-disguised, I thought ( unless i've got any Doctors, Lawyers or Catholic Priests reading .. )



    So who's next ?
    It's difficult, because I can only chose one, and i'm not sure how much interest there will be ? Anyway, let me know via comment or email, and i'll decide what to do in days to come.

    You can read about the project here and here.

    9 comments:

    LBA said...

    Ok - just worked out how I will 'select' the next person while remaining fair and still allowing you a 2nd bite of the cherry.

    Register your interest either here or via email...

    Tracey Petersen said...

    Oh wow. I love this concept, although I agree that anonymous is a difficult notion to express. I would be happy to be included in your selection process. I love a challenge!

    Fairlie - www.feetonforeignlands.com said...

    I'm glad you "decided to stop thinking and start doing"... I find thinking a major impediment to starting any doing! You've done a great job with the theme...I love the Ned Kelly inspiration, and I'm now on the lookout for a passing doctor, lawyer or Catholic priest to translate.

    Anonymous said...

    Interesting concept, not going to put my hand up though because I'm procrastinating about everything and it wouldn't leave my house 'til Christmas.

    Anonymous is hard, I don't think blogging is really very anonymous even if one keeps their personal details hidden. Ultimately it's about revelation? Mmm now I'm confusing myself...

    Looks very cool.

    carmilevy said...

    In the age of technology, anonymity really is a weak premise. Nothing really is anonymous these days, and anyone's true identity can be divined if the pursuer is sufficiently diligent and skilled.

    You've got me thinking - which is a bad thing, because now I won't sleep tonight.

    :)

    Damselfly said...

    Sounds like an interesting project!

    Stomper Girl said...

    My hovercraft is full of eels. and I wouldn't mind a crack at it....



    Hello! I''m back.

    CelloBella said...

    Brilliant work H&B! It's ironic that it is us - the most un-anonymous of all (bloggers) that are embracing this project - and hey once I finally thought of an idea for my page - I wanted to tell the world!! I was just so damned relieved to have thought of *something*!!
    CB
    xx

    Born Dancin' said...

    Great contribution - that bookmag is looking great. Remember that if you're ever stuck for someone to pass it onto, we've got a waiting list...

    And re: it being a blog project - it's not really. Quite a few issues have never gone anywhere near a blogger. It's interesting how the blogosphere has embraced it though, and it will be even more interesting to see how the editions which circulated via blog contacts differ from the others.

    Then again, the best thing about blogger editions is that we can occasionally hear that they're still in motion out there. Too many are probably sitting under piles of junk the world over. A fast book is a good book, we say.

    Post a Comment

    Hey, You just read me, and this is crazy,
    But here's my Blogger, Comment maybe <3