Chirp!:

    Sunday, May 14, 2006

    VOiP

    Went to Dick Smith Electronics today and picked up a VOiP box.
    You can read more about it here:
    https://www.engin.com.au

    Basically, it all started when Tel$tra cut us off without warning for a bill we had not paid ( we had: their screw-up, not ours ). Unfortunately for them, this is when we started questioning these damn phone bills anyway - the majority of them made up in "line rental", and then a measly few calls. We hardly even use the phone!

    So we did a bit of research, and discovered VOiP. We'll basically be harnessing the money we already spend on broadband cable internet, and clicking our phone into the computer rather than a phone jack. Andrew read an article in The Age "Investor" magazine ( I couldn't find an online link ) which outlined the benefits financially - from calls to mobiles, international and local calls. Seems a no-brainer.

    Anyway, I am just waiting for ENGIN to get back to me with my new ph. no.
    We decided to do this BEFORE we moved, so we could experiment and still have our established Tel$tra line as backup. We are hoping not to connect a regular line at all in the new place.

    I'll let you know how it goes ...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Hey, You just read me, and this is crazy,
    But here's my Blogger, Comment maybe <3